MASN’s Gary Thorne, who serves as a play-by-play broadcaster for Orioles games, chatted about his favorite guilty food, his favorite library in Baltimore and more.
1. What’s a bucket-list place you’ve never been to?
Probably the Galapagos. I haven’t been there. I would love to do that. I just think it’s the most unique place in the world next to probably the North and South Poles. So Galapagos would be high on the list.
2. What’s your favorite guilty food?
Ice cream, and I’m not guilty about it anymore.
3. What was your favorite sports team growing up?
4. What’s your favorite road city?
Probably New York and San Francisco
5. Where are you most excited to eat on the road?
Probably North End of Boston, going up to all the Italian restaurants.
6. What’s a book you’ve recently read?
“Dutch Girl.” I just finished it. It’s the story of Audrey Hepburn and her time when the Nazis were taking over the city she lived in in the Netherlands. They were under extreme pressure as far as Nazi presence and bombing. It’s a story about her that’s not often told. I found it very interesting.
7. What’s your favorite library in Baltimore?
That would be the [Enoch Pratt Central Library]. I love going downtown to the public library — have my library card, use it during the year and sometimes just go in to visit, see what exhibits are on, what might be going on in the library. It’s a great library and a real treasure for the city.
8. What’s your favorite movie of all time?
9. What TV show have you binge-watched recently?
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
10. What’s your favorite thing about Baltimore?
Next to the ballpark, which is my favorite, would be the Inner Harbor. I think it’s so great to be able to walk and enjoy that.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Baltimore Orioles