Wow, what a crazy few days in the fantasy world. Injuries, releases, trades … I am exhausted. Let’s go through some highlights and try and figure out what they mean.
Ravens running back J.K. Dobbins is out for the year with a torn ACL.
- Gus Edwards is RB1 for a team that runs the ball more than any other. He immediately vaults into RB2 range.
- Ty’Son Williams is the RB2 in Baltimore and is a top-50 back overall.
- Justice Hill isn’t happening. Sorry to all who wasted FAAB on him.
Quarterback Cam Newton was cut by the Patriots.
- Well, I didn’t really see this coming. Mac Jones is the starter but is not in the QB2 conversation. I have him as the No. 22 quarterback overall.
- Damien Harris is a top-20 running back now.
- Rhamondre Stevenson is worthy of a late-round dart throw. He looked great in the preseason and made Sony Michel expendable.
- As for Newton, where he winds up could be interesting. The Texans make some sense. Houston may be the only place he could go and have immediate fantasy value.
The Panthers cut wide receiver David Moore.
- They signed Moore to a two-year deal this off-season but Terrace Marshall Jr. is happening.
- Marshall is a guy you should have on your must-draft list this week. He is WR48 for me and has Justin Jefferson breakout potential.
Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. may miss the season after undergoing meniscus surgery this week.
- Many like me predicted a breakout season for Smith.
- Adam Thielen (WR16) and Justin Jefferson (WR7) both will see an uptick in targets.
- The Vikings traded for Chris Herndon from the Jets if you want to throw a dart late. Tyler Conklin is still recovering from his injury woes.
Watch for a Zach Ertz trade this week.
- Yes, we have been expecting it for four months, but there are some tight-end-needy teams out there — like the Jets, for example.
The Panthers only kept three running backs.
- Christian McCaffrey, well, duh.
- Chuba Hubbard is the direct handcuff to McCaffrey and needs to be owned in all formats.
- Spencer Brown was the third running back kept … so …
Running back Wayne Gallman was released by the 49ers.
- Early on there seemed to be a role for Gallman, but the Niners went young.
- Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell are the RB2 and RB3 in San Francisco behind starter Raheem Mostert.
- Do not forget about Jeff Wilson Jr., who will be back just in time to cloud the running back picture in four to six weeks.
- All four should be owned. Draft Wilson late, put him on IR and hit the waiver wire.
Photo Credit: Kenya Allen/PressBox
Ken Zalis ranked No. 3 in FantasyPros’ 2019 Fantasy Football Draft Accuracy Rankings.